21 Essential Knots for Everyday Use Indoors or Outdoors! This compact little reference book includes knots for a wide range of functions, from home to work, hobby to play activities. No knot-tying jargon is used, no baffling technical terms--just simple step-by-step instructions and outstandingly clear line drawings. It's the perfectly portable knot reference for anyone--scouts, sailors, hunters, anglers, gardeners, farmers, horse riders, you name it! Among the knots in this book are: Overhand knot, Heaving line knot Reef knot, Sheetbend Fisherman's knot, Figure-of-eight loop, Bowline Three-part crown, Sheepshank Half-hitch, Clove hitch, Constrictor knot, Pile hitch, Highwayman's hitch, Waggoner's hitch, Timber hitch, Double-loop knot, Uni-knot, Blood knot, Square lashing, and more! Start learning these useful and practical knots today.
This is a full-color edition of the very first Boy Scouts Handbook, complete with the wonderful vintage advertisements that accompanied the original1911 edition, Over 40 million copies in print!
The original Boy Scouts Handbook standardized American scouting and emphasized the virtues and qualifications for scouting, delineating what the American Boy Scouts declared was needed to be a “well-developed, well-informed boy.” The book includes information on:
- The organization of scouting
- Signs and signaling
- Scouting games
- Description of scouting honors.
Scouts past and present will be fascinated to see how scouting has changed, as well as what has stayed the same over the years.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the wilderness!
- Survival is a specialist field in the world of outdoors skills both practical and mental. Something that becomes more relevant with each passing year as we become more and more detached from the natural world – even those of us with a love of the outdoors.
- What would you do if the worst happened? How would you find your way back if you were lost? Could you survive several days in the wilds, without contact with the outside world ?
- These questions and more will be answered within the pages of this book.
- Outdoors the Scandinavian Way – Survival Skills contains a wealth of practical information, from how we can use the skills and knowledge of indigenous peoples to help us hone our survival skills, to how to build shelter, make fire, procure safe, drinkable water, obtain food, and how to use certain edible plants.
- This is a must read book by one of the world’s great outdoor experts.
Now outdoorsman and survivalists can own the official US Army guide to edible plants. Whether you are a stranded soldier, a wilderness hiker, or you just want to know which plants growing in your backyard are edible, this is an invaluable resource.
Anyone who has spent serious time outdoors knows that in survival situations, wild plants are often the only sustenance available. The proper identification of these plants can mean the difference between survival and death.
This book describes habitat and distribution, physical characteristics, and edible parts of wild plants—the key elements of identification.
Hugely important to the book are its color photos. There are over one hundred of them, further simplifying the identification of poisonous and edible plants. No serious outdoors person should ever hit the trail without this book and the knowledge contained within it.
In Bushcraft Survival, Pantenburg delivers practical tips and anecdotes that cater to readers who are looking to improve their outdoor skills and prepare for every potential disaster. Drawing from his personal experience as an avid outdoorsman and years as a journalist, Pantenburg lays out easy-to-follow steps to prep for both short and long-term survival situations.
As natural disasters become increasingly present and people continue to rely on reality television shows for survival tips, developing bushcraft abilities is becoming more and more important. In this thorough handbook, Pantenburg covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Developing a survival mindset
- Crafting survival kits
- Choosing clothing best suited to survival
- Picking materials and objects to help you survive
- Building a variety of shelters
- Deciding what survival tools you should pack and which you should leave at home
- Effectively make a fire using different techniques
Filled with time-tested techniques and first-hand experience, Bushcraft Survival is the ideal book for those who want to step up their hiking or camping game, as well as those who are searching for relevant advice on emergency preparedness.
Camp Cooking covers it all: from meat, to fish, to vegetables, baked goods and sauces. Fred Bouwman explains it all in easy-to-follow steps. This information has been tested and retested in the field. Much of it is just not available anywhere else and Bouwman lets his expertise run wild here. Chapters include information on building campfires that are serviceable for cooking, selecting the best camp stove, utensils, and how to pack and carry a camp "kitchen." Bouwman also looks at the myths and the facts of safe water purification while camping, and teaches methods for safely purifying your water supply. The book closes with a great section on selecting using the wide selection of foods available to today's camper.